Friday, August 01, 2003

I was going to do this in the comment box of the previous entry, but I thought I'd just put it here instead.

I have no problem with the stereotypical aspect of Queer Eye. TV is indeed all about stereotypes. Uptight lawyer marries kooky hippie chick. Uptight ad exec. marries kooky witch. Uptight astronaut marries kooky genie. I just don't like the guys on QE. I think they're irritating. Really, really, kick-in-the-tv-screen irritating.

I'm also cool with the sexuality-in-your-face aspect of QAF. I just don't like the characters on the American incarnation. Stuart in the British version was a dick. But he was charming and sexy, so you could understand why Nathan and Vince could fall for him. Brian in the US version is . . . well, just a dick. Justin is wooden and whiny. Emmet and Ted were okay characters, then they started getting outrageous plot lines. Michael . . . well, he's kind of a dick, too.

I guess that's my biggest gripe about QAF. It's just a gay soap opera. Cardboard characters in unrealistic stories. I don't watch regular soap operas (with the exception of Melrose Place . . . but I was ever so much younger then [that was a Broadway show reference . . . can you name the show?]), so I don't like the expectation that I will watch and enjoy QAF simply because it is a "gay" show.

It seems that there are so many books, movies, etc., that are crap, but that I'm supposed to like because they are "gay." I want to spend my time and money on something that is a quality product, not just a niche market item.

No comments: