Tuesday, September 02, 2003

I'm fucking exhausted today. I stayed up way too late last night reading the Joe Orton diaries. Fascinating stuff. I read them years ago in college. Funny how a decade or so will change your attitude toward things. Much more interesting this time through, especially since I catch many more of the references.

Now I have to dig out my copies of his plays and read through them. Who knows, I may even make a trip up to Boston to see the John Lahr collection and read some of this stuff first hand. Much better reading that way.

Odd thing to think, Joe Orton died when he was younger than I am. Well, makes me feel like I haven't accomplished a damn thing in the last few decades. But then again, I haven't been beaten to death with a hammer like he was, so all things considered, I suppose I'm doing okay.

One of the funnier things from rereading the diaries, there was to be a filmed version of Entertaining Mr. Sloane (don't know if it was filmed or not) with Patricia Routledge. When I first read the diaries, that name meant nothing to me. Now I know her as Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances. Hard to picture her in something as edgy as Mr. Sloane, but then this was thirty-five years ago.

I mean, if Charlotte Rae could do a sex farce, I guess I can see Patricia Routledge doing Orton.

Odd though.

No comments: