Saturday, September 06, 2003

I actually accomplished things today, both at work and at home (good boy!). So as a reward, I'm going to buy me a sofa and comfy chair tomorrow. Of course, that means I won't have the sofa and comfy chair for 6-8 weeks, but that is beside the point. I will have my sofa and comfy chair in spirit.

I only have 10 more boxes of books to unpack. Then of course the boxes from my mom's will arrive, including about 7-8 more boxes of books. Do I have enough shelf space for all of them, you ask? No. C'est la vie. The last time I did a major move (from East Texas to Eastern Pennsylvania), I had to get rid of hundreds of books because I simply didn't have the room for them. Most of these were hardcover, first editions. I hate the fact that I had to do that. I mean paperbacks, unless they are rare out-of-print ones, aren't really a loss. But hardcover . . .

Someday, when I'm really, really rich (or married to someone who is), I'm going to have one of those big, oak and leather, laddered, 'Room With a View,' typically English, manor house libraries. I'm going to grow old sitting in a leather club chair, next to a fire, drinking my port and reading.

I've quoted it before and I'll quote it again: I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
-Jorge Luis Borges

No comments: