Wednesday, July 16, 2003

There have been a number of high profile celebrity deaths recently, but I just heard the one that hurt the most. Celia Cruz, Queen of Salsa, died today.

I can remember the first time I ever saw her. I was right before The Mambo Kings came out. She and Tito Puente performed at an outdoor concert back in Texas. Here was this throaty-voiced, sequined salsera singing song after song, creating a rapport with the audience. I was mesmerized. She moved around the stage with a voice that said "I may be in my sixties, but I'm still sexy." And she was. I can only imagine what it would have been like to have seen Tito and her in their prime.

Ever since that day, she was la reina. Sure, I listened to others, but I always came back to her. That voice . . . who could stay away from it? I hesitate to guess at how many of her CDs, records and tapes I own.

Now she's gone.

I remember when Tito died; the city's Latinos (and his many other fans) gave him an amazing send-off; tribute concerts, a long, city-wide funeral procession. I imagine they will for Celia as well.

As for me, I'm going to go home, light a candle and listen to Azucar Negra, my favorite of her albums.

Adios, Celia. Adios y gracias.

No comments: