Thursday, July 03, 2003

In an effort to bolster my mood, I thought I'd list some things that I love about living in the City.

1) The little breeze in the 42nd St. station that lets you know the F train is coming.
2) Knowing I could go to the theater every night and not run out of plays to see.
3) Mike.
4) My rugby team.
5) Central Park when the violets bloom.
6) The carpet of hyacinth and daffodils running down the middle of Park Ave. during the spring.
7) The research room of the main library.
8) The Quad Cinema.
9) The Ghandi statue.
10) The farmers' market at Union Sq.
11) The Angel of the Waters statue in the fountain on the Bethesda Terrace in Central Park.
12) Riverside Church.
13) The Still Hunt statue in Central Park that scared the hell out of me the first time I noticed it.
14) The brownstones on 20th between 9th and 10th Ave.
15) Fiddlesticks Bar.
16) Live Irish music.
17) The Piper's Kilt in Inwood.
18) The Magnolia Bakery.
19) The Donut Pub - best coffee in the city.
20) Trying random Dim Sum places in Chinatown on Sundays.
21) Seeing the city through my friends' eyes when they visit.
22) The view from the Empire State Building, though I haven't been able to bring myself to visit it since 9/11.
23) Seeing the Statue of Liberty up close and knowing it was the first thing my great-grandmother saw when she arrived here.
24) Peter Luger's.
25) Seeing famous people. I know we're not supposed to act impressed, but I still get a little shiver when I recognize someone famous.
26) Fruit stands.
27) Having a doorman.
28) Reading Gawker and frequently getting it.
29) Meeting President Carter when he was here.
30) Meeting Harlan Ellison.
31) Sitting in the comfy chair at the 98th St. Starbucks and reading away an afternoon.
32) Sitting in the grassy area behind the Metropolitan Museum and people-watching.
33) The Metropolitan's sculpture garden.
34) All the van Goghs.
35) The galleries in Chelsea.
36) The view of the city from our pitch on Randall's Island.
37) WNYC
38) Watching the hockey games at Chelsea Piers.
39) The Museum of Television and Radio.
40) Portuguese bakeries.
41) TKTS.
42) Walking along the Hudson at sunset.
43) Greek food in Astoria.
44) Trinity Church.
45) Soul Fixin's.
46) CBGB's.
47) Watching people do Tai Chi at the courthouse.
48) The ebb and flow of Grand Central.
49) The decor of the bathroom at XL.
50) Sitting on the fire escape and watching the river.

No comments: