Monday, May 19, 2003

Well, I'm sitting here wearing a formerly clean rugby jersey which is now stained with Black Cherry Jello, whipped cream, beer, ketchup and vodka cranberry. Just another evening out with the rugby boys. We had a fund-raiser at the Phoenix tonight. Hey, Brian! Where the fuck were you? Anyway, here are my observations for the evening:

1) I only get play when I'm drunk or the guy is
2) When I get play, I forget to ask what the guy's name is or simply don't remember it
3) When I get play when I'm drunk, I tend to do things in bars that could get me arrested
4) When I'm drunk, I forget about being vegetarian
5) The cheap store-brand whipped cream is really good
6) But it stains
7) I shouldn't lick whipped cream off anyone's crotch, fingers, tongue or other body part when cameras are around
8) Steve is evil or at least a bad influence
9) My teammates seem to have a thing for nipples

I'm sure I'll think of other things later, but I'm still pretty potted, so I'll just leave it be for now.

Now Saturday was something of an adventure. I have this friend called Heather who is an actress, playwright, and all around talented chick. She wrote this amazing one-woman show called After the Storm about her experiences as an officer during Desert Storm (or as it seems to be getting called now, Gulf War I). Well she was recording a CD of army marching cadences and asked her friends to help her out. I said I would because 1) it sounded like a hoot, and 2) I haven't seen her in over a decade, except to see her show and we didn't get to talk to each other. I showed up at 9:45 a.m. (ungodly hour) in Central Park by the Bethesda Angel fountain. And I had a blast. I was great to see her and to meet her friends, especially this really cute guy called Galen. But the actual recording was fun. Tourists kept stopping and filming or taking pictures of us (not that we were doing anything dramatic, just marching in place and singing cadences). We were also recorded by a reporter from National Public Radio, who will be doing a piece about this. That's pretty cool.

It's times like this that I wish I were more involved with theater. I really do miss it. But I really like having a job that pays. How to balance the two? I haven't figured that out yet.

Anyway, I'm still working under the assumption that I'll be getting up to go to the gym tomorrow, so I'd better call it a night.

No comments: