Thursday, May 29, 2003

So any thoughts on what I can do for a vacation this summer? I was going to go to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, but because of the whole will-I-or-won't-I-get-the-apartment thing, I don't really want to spend the money right now. Another friend said that he'd be going to Prague and a couple of other places in Eastern Europe later in the summer and that I might be able to tag along. This is very appealing. I love the architecture and history. But even more so, I've seen just about every Bel Ami movie and can't help imagining that I'd run into Johan Paulik who, struck by my raw masculinity, would fall madly in love with me. Then I could bring him home and show him off to all my friends (In your face, Fumia!!!!).

Then again, maybe this isn't the best reason to plan a vacation.

My only other vacation plan is a trip down to Atlanta over Labor Day weekend. Now this is a change for me since I normally go to New Orleans for Southern Decadence. (On a side note, last year I went with some of my rugby teammates. I felt like the ugly girl at the dance because they hooked up frequently and, as the Spanish would say, con mucho gusto. Me . . . well, aside from spending about $250 in singles at the Corner Pocket, I got nothing. Though, one of the strippers thought my $15 fake Movado that I got on Canal St. was real and seemed really interested in me after that. Next time I go down there, I'm taking twenty of them with me to hand out to the strippers. Like a horny Santa Claus. But I digress).

The reason for the trip to Atlanta is . . . Dragoncon. Now before you roll your eyes or ask me if I live in my parents' basement (only when I go home to visit), this is not something I would normally do. A friend of mine is an editor at Tor and has to go to Dragoncon for business; he has to go to lots of the Sci-Fi conventions, meet and greet, schmooze authors, etc. So for a lark, he asked if I'd like to come down with him. Mind you, I won't be seeing him much since he has to work, but what the hell. Other than sharing an elevator with two Klingons when I went to a baby shower that was being held at a hotel which was hosting a Star Trek convention, I've never done something like this. I love reading Sci-Fi, have been known to obssesively quote Buffy and Angel, watch many of the Sci-Fi TV shows and movies, and I rarely get laid, so I'll probably fit right in. Damn it.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Klingons are tops or bottoms?

So one of the highlights of going to Dragoncon will be meeting the celebrities. Now I'd go down there just for the chance to meet Ray Bradbury and Anne McCaffrey; I grew up reading their work and the idea of meeting them turns me back into a junior high school kid all over again (only taller and less pimply). But the idea of meeting James Marsters (woof), Noah Hathaway (don't judge me, damn it), Gil Gerard and Erin Gray (okay, you can judge me on this, but I did grow up watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, which at the time was the height of coolness . . . hey, they even had Gary Coleman guest-star), gets me all giggly like a little school girl. Or rather like a big, hairy, rugby-playing school girl.

Well, geeky or not, I'm looking forward to this trip.

But Lordy, I wish I were made of money so I could also go to Hawaii. My teammate Austin is going back there to visit family and invited some of us along to hang out with him while he's there. I've heard so many great things about it and I wouldn't have to pay for hotel . . . all in all a great opportunity. But if I get this apartment, I won't have any money left.

Hawaii or getting away from my psycho roommates? I'm going to have to vote for the latter. (And if you're reading my blog, roomies, you're not really psycho, I just am ready to live by myself again).

No comments: