Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Still liking 'Colonial House'. Still think the governor is a sanctimonious prick. Still think the lay preacher is a self-important prick. Still think a couple of the guys are hot, though the more scruffy and dirty they get, the less I think so.

The issue of the gay guy coming out was handled fairly well, I suppose, though the governor pissed me off with his 'confession is the first step to mastering your sin' comment that he made (not to the gay guy, thank God). The other thing that kind of pissed me off was that the governor decided not to punish the guy for being gay. Okay, I understand that homosexuality would have been punished back in 1628, but it wasn't like the guy was caught having sex with another guy. He admitted to being gay in the context of everyone in the group talking about who they were in real life, as opposed to the roles they are playing on 'Colonial House'. The fact that the governor felt that he had to decide not to punish the guy pisses me off. It wasn't like he had to decide not to punish the Voorhies family for being atheists or any of the women for having jobs or being 'liberated' in the real world.

I'm getting entirely too worked up over this.

And we're moving on.

So, I'm enjoying watching the group adapt to the work and the primitive conditions. I was amazed watching them make the spars and build the house. I love the little voiceovers that explain the history and conventions of the time. Last night's fact that stuck in my head, water was often foul so people drank fermented drinks most of the time. Some people drank up to a gallon of beer a day. Make that cider instead of beer and I'd have been a happy puppy.

Sadly, I'll be missing the next couple of episodes because of my trip to London. Damn. Somebody better tape it.

No comments: