Wednesday, May 05, 2004

I almost called in sick today. It's not so much that I feel 'sick' sick; it's just this general sense of ennui, masking itself as malaise.

Recently I've begun to feel like a character in a Chekhov play. I'm bored. I'm tired. I want to go to Moscow.

Well, not exactly, but you get my drift.

Maybe it's all the vodka.

Anyway, happy Cinco de Mayo. Not my favorite Mexican holiday; I've always been a Dia de los Muertos man, myself. But here is a recipe for y'all to try to celebrate the French getting their asses kicked by the Mexicans. Don't ask me how it tastes, you couldn't pay me enough to eat tripe.

Mamacita's Menudo

1 calf's foot (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
2 pounds honeycomb tripe
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled
6 peppercorns
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
4 quarts of water
3 large chiles anchos
A large chile poblano, peeled or 2 canned, peeled green chiles
1/2 cup canned hominy (1 pound) drained (see note below)
Salt as necessary
1 scant teaspoon oregano

Have the butcher cut the calf's foot into four pieces. Cut the tripe into small squares. Put them into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the tripe and foot are just tender but not too soft. Meanwhile, toast the chilies well. Slit them open and remove the seeds and veins from the chile poblano, cut it into strips, and add to the meat while it is cooking. Remove the pieces of calf's foot from the pen, and when they are cool enough to handle, strip off the fleshy parts. Chop them roughly and return them to the pan.

Add hominy and continue cooking the menudo slowly, still uncovered, for another 2 hours.

Add salt as necessary. Sprinkle with oregano and serve (see note below).

This amount is sufficient for 7 or 8 people. It should be served in large, deep bowls with hot tortillas and small dishes of chopped chile serranos, finely chopped onion and wedges of lime for each person to help himself, along with Salsa de Tomate Verde Cruda to be eaten with tortillas.

No comments: