Friday, March 14, 2008

Friends, Romans, Bloggers

I saw a production of Julius Caesar tonight (or as their press release read, Julius Casear). Even the Baby Queens (NYU gay boys . . . sorry, bois) having a giggle fit behind me couldn't darken my mood too much (seriously, they started giggling when Cassius mentioned his naked breast and when Brutus said the word niggard).

I don't see productions of Julius Caesar too often (which, given the current administration, is rather surprising), so it had been a while since I'd heard Anthony's funeral speech. It still gives me chills. In the hands of a good actor, the repetition of "Brutus is an honorable man. So are they all, honorable men" is devastating by the end and hearing the crowd slowly turn against Brutus as Marc Anthony slowly coaxes them to his side . . . brilliant.

Not my favorite of Shakespeare's plays by any means, but amazingly effective.

No comments: