Wednesday, June 09, 2004

If there is a good side to being sick, other than getting lots and lots of sleep, it's getting to catch up on movies. This weekend I saw 'Harry Potter and the blah, blah, blah' and 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

'Harry' was disappointing. I thought it was a little, well, boring. Plus, there was once again a dearth of Harry on Draco action. Now, I haven't read the books, but all the fanfic I read usually ends up with the two of them getting it on and I'm sure that the fanfic is pretty true to the books. Right?

Kidding aside, I really couldn't get into this one very much. But I will say this, it was a beautiful film. The cinematography was amazing, as was the directing. I just didn't much care for the story.

'Day After Tomorrow' was what I expected. Great special effects. Good, though completely unbelievable, story. Lousy dialogue and acting (if you want to call it that).

I have a sick fascination with movies that destroy the city I live in. From 'Deep Impact' to 'Independence Day', I love watching New York get destroyed. This movie was especially fun because most of the action took place a couple of blocks from where I work, so I'm very familiar with the area. One minor problem that I wonder if anyone else from the city caught. Did you notice that the wall of water entered Manhattan from the southwest, but the wave that nearly killed our plucky heroes was travelling on 41st Street from the east? But then again, the writers managed to get a huge Russian freighter (unmanned and somehow upright despite the killer wave) to 'drift' to the corner of 5th Ave. and 42nd Street, so I really shouldn't be worrying too much about verisimilitude.

Anyway, watching New York and LA get destroyed was worth the price of admission.

So that was my cinema-going experience. I also rented 'The Princess Diaries,' 'The Triplettes of Belleville,' 'East is East,' and 'Brotherhood of the Wolf'.

Here are my nutshell reviews:

'Princess' cute, frothy, fun.
'Belleville' funky, artsy, awsome
'East' drama billed as a madcap comedy
'Wolf' thank God for the fast foward button

Other than that, it was a quiet and rather phlemy weekend. Went to a laid back party on Saturday at Turtle's. Hung out with Dino on Sunday. Called in sick Monday. Had most of Tuesday off.

Not too exciting.

Maybe I'll make up stuff next weekend so it sounds better.

No comments: