Monday, July 10, 2006

Grad School

Things I will have to do in order to apply for Ph.D. programs:

1) Take the fucking GRE again. Probably next month, which means I need a refresher soon. Luckily, I aced the test last time . . . of course that was 16 or so years ago.

2) Get letters of recommendation from two professors to whom I haven't spoken in a decade. Naturally, the person who is most qualified to write a letter on my behalf died in 2004.

3) Prepare a writing sample. Of course, they want scholarly writing and a rather substantial amount. So I can't use any of my plays (creative writing) or any of my theater reviews (too short and not scholarly). The last paper like this that I wrote was a history of swimwear. It sucked. I have no clue what I'm going to do about this.

I'm a little freaked right now.

4 comments:

Jess said...

How big of a paper does the writing sample have to be? Do you have a subject in mind?

I'd be happy to help, but I don't even know where to start.

Hoping4more said...

Good luck with everything!! sounds stressful. you can do it!!! all of the irony can be inspiring, huh? focus it on your scholarly writing...(breathing) the force is with you!!! (more breathing...)

Maddog said...

I just finished grad school after three very short years. I found the prep work to get into school three times more challenging than the work I was expected to do once I was there. Maybe it was because the pressure was off. Just buckle down and get it done and you'll be all the happier because of it.

Eric said...

I looked into going BACK to grad school for a completely different master's degree earlier this year. I think I missed my GRE expiring by a year or so. I take standardized tests really well but I BLEW my near-perfect GRE scores on a program that didn't need them and there's no way I'll even get that close to them.
But all of that said, good luck!