Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I'm "Back"

As many of you eventually figured out, yesterday's post was not actually written by Hot Toddy.  It was, in fact, an elaborate practical joke played on a blogger that we all love and admire (and, of course, secretly lust after).

He was, as we had hoped, mortified and amused.

Personally, the thing that got me laughing the hardest was the picture of Hot Toddy with the cast of 'The Jeffersons'.  Though why, oh why, did Chrisafer have to cover up poor Florence's face.  Didn't she suffer enough having to serve the nouveau riche Jeffersons?  (Or should that be nouveaux riches Jeffersons?)  He should have covered Jenny Willis's face instead.  Then Toddy and Lionel could have been a couple (under the watchful eye, no doubt, of obviously gay though trying to pass for straight Mr. Bentley).  Ah, well, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts . . .

Anyway, nothing much to report in my life, hence the reason I so enjoyed writing about Toddy's.

Took a long-ass walk on Monday night.  Got stood up for coffee.  Sulked.

Tuesday I kept up with my week of getting to work obscenely early.  Obsessively checked my Gmail and the sites of my co-conspirators.  Got no work done.  Walked home in the pouring rain.  Got soaked despite my (sucky) umbrella.  After the rain stopped, I went shopping so I could make hummus and another batch of the chicken dish (this time I'm going to try mozzarella and tomato instead of the herbed goat cheese).  By the time I was done shopping, the rain had started again, with a vengence.  Got absolutely soaked walking home because I didn't bring my (sucky) umbrella.

Blew off a rugby team meeting last night.  Decided that life was too short for me to deal with what I knew would be a long annoying meeting.

Today, I got up late but still managed to make my hummus and get to work early.  Go me!!

Here is the hummus recipe I used.  It's something I got from Alton Brown's Good Eats.

1 can chickpeas
3 cloves garlic (my garlic had gone bad so I used garlic powder)
3 Tbs. smooth peanut butter
Juice of one lemon
1 handful fresh parsley
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Dash of salt
Pinch of pepper

Put all of the above in a food processor or blender and process or blend the hell out of it.

It's okay, not great.  The thing that turns me off about it is using the peanut butter instead of tahini.  It's a little too sweet.  And I bought a no-sugar-added peanut butter.  Plus, the tahini (sesame paste) has a smoky flavor that I really like.

Next time, I'm going to use tahini and probably add a little hot pepper.

No comments: