Monday, December 22, 2003

So, let's see. Got a little catching up to do.

Last Thursday . . . drinks with Mike, MAK and PatCH. A lovely, civilized time. Any rumors you may hear about me sticking my hands down people's shirts to feel their smooth, smooth chests, stripping people's clothing off in order to see their tattoos (and other bits of their anatomy), sucking a ring off someone's finger, or blatantly staring at people's asses (especially the hot Mohawked waiter) are complete and utter fabrications and the people who spread such filth should be stripped naked, covered with honey from head to toe and . . . um . . .

I'm sorry, I seem to have lost my train of thought.

And we're moving . . .

Woke up Friday with a screaming hangover. It was worth it, though.

Friday I had a celebrity sighting. Frank Langella was at the post office choosing letters as part of Operation Santa Claus. Good for him.

That night I went to the Eagle for their Christmas party. The team was invited. Fun event. Food, open bar, good company. Sadly, my foot was absolutely killing me, so I had to leave early. As lame as it was having to go home and ice my foot instead of staying out with my friends, I really needed it. Saturday the foot was much better.

Saturday was a quiet day. Went shopping. Watched 'Get Real'. Got together with Mike for coffee at Rita's then went back to his place and watched the second half of 'Angels in America'. I haven't seen the first half, but I did see the plays when they were on Broadway, so I didn't think it mattered too much.

The show was amazing. Al Pacino was absolutely incredible. I really didn't see how they were going to adapt it for the screen, but it worked. I can't wait till it's out on DVD.

Yesterday was another quiet one. Had brunch with the new president of the rugby club. We talked about a number of club related things. In fact, the brunch lasted four hours. I'm still a little up in the air about his way of doing things, but I think I'll adapt. For now, my focus is going to be membership and developing our fan base. Should be interesting.

Got home and made dinner. My birthday gifts to myself this year (other than my, um, art DVDs) were cookbooks. Seven of them. Last night I tried out a crockpot recipe for Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Stew. It turned out really well. A little more runny than I would have liked, but I can fix that next time. It made a huge amount of food, so I'll have to wind up freezing quite a bit of it. Still, it's nice to have a freezer full of good food, especially for those nights that I don't feel like cooking.

I can't wait to try out more of the recipes. One of the cookbooks is nothing put 'one pot' recipes. Soups, stews, casseroles, etc. It's going to be great cooking some of those dishes.

And I have to say that I love coming home to a house that is full of the smells of cooking. Walking in and smelling garlic, tomatoes, oranges, cinnamon, dill, bread . . . well, it makes it feel more like home.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to mull cider, so the house should smell amazing after that.

Sunday night I watched 'Billy Elliot'. Even though I said that 'Beautiful Thing' is my favorite movie, I think 'Billy Elliot' really is. It's also one of those movies that I really can't watch with someone else (except maybe Mike since he has little or no respect left for me) because I always end up crying like a baby at the end of that movie. It's kind of embarrassing with people who don't know me that well. There are several scenes that kill me. The bit where Billy's dad breaks the strike to try to earn money for Billy's audition and training. The scene with Billy saying goodbye to his father and brother at the bus station. Billy trying to say goodbye to his grandmother and she pulls him into a fierce embrace, knowing that in all likelihood, they won't see each other again.

Yep. I'm tearing up now thinking about it.

But then, I cry at the drop of a hat. What can you do?

So here I am today. Nearly done with my shopping (or at least the shopping I have to do before Christmas . . . some of my friends and I exchange gifts after the holidays). I have to buy something Barbie-related for my niece. I need to get something for my stepsister and her husband.

Finally, I have to get some presents for my Operation Santa family. Not the most original thing, but I think I'm going to send them a gift certificate to Toys 'R Us. There are four kids and I only know what one of them wants. I figure it's safer to let the parents deal with all that.

Well, that's it for now. Tonight is David's dinner party. I can't wait. I've got to say, I've made some great friends by having a blog.

No comments: