Friday, June 06, 2003

So I went to the opening at ICP yesterday night with Mike. There were three new exhibits: Dreaming in Pictures: the Photography of Lewis Carroll; Cuba on the Verge; and Poetic Images.

The Lewis Carroll one was interesting (see the Times review for a better explanation than I'm capable of giving). Mike pretty much hated this one. I liked it the best, but I've always enjoyed portraiture.

Mike enjoyed the Cuba exhibit. Yawn. But a couple of the photos were amazing. More for the architecture, that sort of neglected grandeur, and for the faces of the people. But otherwise pretty much what you'd expect.

The last exhibit was photographs used in books; pictures by famous people or of famous authors. Unusual.

Saw a couple of pictures of Joseph Jefferson (don't worry, I only know him from my theater history classes . . . famous 19th Century actor who was primarily known for playing the lead in Boucicault's Rip Van Winkle. Despite all his other work, this was what everyone knew him as . . . kind of like Russell Johnson, the Professor on Gilligan's Island [poor guy]). Pictures of Dumas pere et fils (dear God, those men were huge . . . hell, they make me look like Callista Flockheart), a couple of photographs of Tennyson. Some truly amazing stuff.

No comments: