Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Okay, so I went to this charity thing Monday night. Very cool. Celebrity sightings: Diane von Furstenberg (okay, this wasn't really a sighting . . . I was told she was there. I know the name, but I wouldn't know her if she bit me on the ass), Melba Moore (singer, actress, Tony award winner . . . but ditto on actual recognition), Kristine Zbornik (cabaret star whom I saw in Forbidden Broadway . . . hilarious, as part of her act she sang the theme to Star Trek. I bet you didn't know it had words. Or wouldn't admit to knowing), and three cuties from the cast of Zanna, Don't (which I believe closes fairly soon . . . go see it. Now! And just for the record, Robb Sapp, one of the cast members who was at the benefit, is absolutely adorable. I wanted to stick him in my pocket and take him home. FYI, they won't let you do that.).

Alcohol tally: 2 Cranberry vodkas and a Sea Breeze. It was a school night after all.

Money tally: Well, I'm not going to give an exact figure, but here is the story. There was a silent auction at the benefit. Now, I'm a good sport. When I attend these things, especially when I'm invited by friends like 16Candles, I step up and do my part. If this means bidding at a live auction, I do it. Silent auction, same thing. Raffles, you bet. So I did my usual thing; I bid on six items, being sure to bid less (often much less) than half their actual retail price. This way, I figured I would bid, drive up the price and walk away not owing anything since I'd easily be outbid.

Wrong!!!! Apparently the queens who were at this benefit were there for the free drinks.

So at the end of the evening, I had won 5 of the 6 items I'd bid on. And the only one I really, really wanted . . . some fucker outbid me.

So if you see me dining at Florent, rushing the waitstaff because I don't want to be late for my season tickets at the Atlantic Theater Company, with a date (platonic) who's wearing a fabulous Roberta Chiarella bracelet and bouncing a basketball signed by the New York Liberty, while we both flip through a bunch of home decorating books, you'll know why.

At least it's for a good cause.

Other interesting developments . . . at the first event (the AALDEF cocktail party) I got cruised by a couple of cute attorneys. And at the other event (the one I just talked about) I think I was being hit on by a drag queen. They tend to be so shamelessly flirty that it's hard to tell, but . . . it's just a feeling I got. And the funny thing, I saw a picture of him out of costume and he was kind of cute.

For the silent auction, the rugby team donated a signed ball, team photo and two memberships in the Armory, our supporters club. Cool thing about the Armory, for $50 you get to go to all our post game drink ups. Free food and beer. Hell, most of us burn through $50 worth of food and beer in the first hour . . . and most drink ups (especially at our home bar) last for three or four hours. You also get to witness us drunk, partially or totally naked depending on how the game went, singing bawdy songs and otherwise carousing. Hey, what's not to like?

Well, 2 a.m. I suppose I should try to sleep. The crazy cursing person outside my window apparently has been scared away by the rain. He was chasing cars and pedestrians while yelling obscenities. This may give him too much credit. He was basically yelling fuck (and variations upon that word) while chasing whatever got near him.

Glad I'm moving to Chelsea.

Saw the apartment again today. Moved a few bags of stuff down. Place seems a little smaller than I remembered, but who gives a fuck. I don't have to share it with anyone. Which, if you think about it, also highlights my current lack of a boyfriend (sigh), but as Scarlett said "Tomorrow is another day."

And as Prissy said "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies." Not applicable to the present discussion, but true nonetheless.

And with that, good night.

No comments: