Sunday, March 18, 2012

Two Burglar Short Stories by Lawrence Block

I've been a huge fan of Lawrence Block for many years (even more so once I moved to New York).  In particular, I've really enjoyed his Matthew Scudder series (hardboiled mysteries), his Bernie Rhodenbarr "Burglar" series (more comic mysteries), and his Tanner series (about a spy who can't sleep due to a brain injury).

I was happy to see that some of his short stories featuring these characters are now available for Kindle, in addition to the novels.

I read two today, The Burglar Who Dropped in on Elvis (Bernie is hired by an unscrupulous tabloid editor--the kind of tabloid that makes the National Enquirer look like the New York Times--to break into Graceland and get picture of the rarely seen second floor and Elvis's bedroom) and The Burglar Who Smelled Smoke (a terrific locked-room murder mystery about the death of a wealthy book collector).

Both were fantastic, and at $.99, quite a bargain.

I'll continue to read most anything I can get by hands on by Block (with the exception of his Hit Man series, which I just couldn't get into), and I have a bunch of his reissued early work on my Kindle, so I'll be covering that at some point.

Next up is Homer & Langley: A Novel by E.L. Doctorow about the Collyer brothers.  This is my second Doctorow book, and I'm enjoying it just as much as I did Ragtime.  Fantastic storyteller and historian.

No comments: