Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Yet another reason why I love WNYC. I'm listening to New Sounds right now: "Classics revisited is the theme of this edition of New Sounds. Host John Schaefer spends an hour sorting through the twisted wreckage of classical music after various new music bands have played it. Hear Stravinsky, Rodrigo, Ketelby, Khatchaturian, and Mozart as you've never heard them before. Artists include Brave Combo, Krakatoa (performing Aram Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance"), Buckethead, John Fahey and many others."

I just heard a couple of songs from Brave Combo's "Box of Ghosts" and they were great. They did a polka verson of Rondo a la Turca (Mozart) and a tango version of one of the pieces from Swan Lake. Very cool idea. I'm going to buy the album, if for no other reason than to see what the do with the William Tell Overture and Musetta's Waltz.

The show also reminded me of how much I love Swan Lake, both the music (thank you, Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky . . . one of the more unusual spellings of his name that I found) and the show itself. I first saw the show at the Royal Ballet in London. It was mesmerizing. Especially considering that I wasn't much of a dance fan up to that point. I have yet to see a version that I didn't like. In fact, the last version I saw was Matthew Bourne's and I was enthralled by it. I saw it twice, which given the price of tickets on Broadway kind of shows how much I thought of it. But don't take my word for it. Read this.

No comments: