Monday, July 14, 2003

The move went without a hitch. I am now, finally, at home.

The movers (three of them) arrived at 8 a.m. and managed to get my furniture and around 50 boxes (mostly books and magazine) downstairs, despite the lack of elevator, in just under two hours. Two hours after that, it was done.

I'm now in my extremely messy apartment (boxes, etc., everywhere) eating a salad while my main course cooks. Which brings me to my point, I have an entire kitchen all to myself. An entire refrigerator. All the cabinets contain my stuff. God, it's wonderful.

This weekend I went to the farmers' market at Union Square and bought over $60 worth of food. I was thrilled with my purchases though one of my friends heard what I had bought and was unimpressed. But I love fresh produce. I bought kale, chard, collards, arugula, potatoes, corn, radishes, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, two loaves of bread (sourdough and multi-grain), four kinds of cheese (the hard, smelly kinds that my former roommate would have thrown out thinking that it had gone bad), apples, scallions, kohlrabi . . . well, you get the picture.

I'm so fucking psyched. I love to cook. Unfortunately at the old apartment, the fridge was always full of other people's crap and the dishes were always dirty (the roomies seemed not to understand how dishes go from dirty to clean . . . I think they thought elves were involved.) Now I can cook to my heart's content.

Tonight it's a spinach/arugula/lettuce salad with cukes, tomatoes, mandarin oranges, green olives, carrots, a dill/maple vinegar dressing, some fake-bacon bits and one of my stinky cheeses. Sounds nasty? Well it's fucking awesome. Dinner is black bean soup with tomatoes, garlic, onions, scallions and cilantro. And the best part . . . lots of leftovers. And no one else will eat them.

For dessert fruit, yogurt and maybe a little port if I can find the bloody bottle opener.

This is so fucking sweet. It almost makes me forget that I have some thirty-odd boxes left to unpack.

A few quick highlights from the weekend, then I'm going to have dinner. The arab cabbie story will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Friday, Mike'nDavid brought over a baker's rack that they gave me. It's great. I was able to get almost all of my kitchen stuff put away. The sad thing is most of my kitchen stuff is still at my mom's house. It'll be great to have it all in one place, but I really don't think I have enough room for everything. Though if I utilize all the space in the kitchen I may surprise myself.

Saturday, I hung out with Mike (sans David, who was out on Long Island at a concert) who was sick. We just watched TV for a while. Then I went to see T3 with Stuff. I was really ready to hate the movie, but it was really pretty good. And Nick Stahl . . . damn! In the next movie he needs to take off his clothes more.

Went out drinking with Stuff after the movie. Phoenix, Wonder Bar . . . the typical E. Vill. places.

On the way back to Mike's, I passed Matthew Modine in the street, looking all scruffy and I-just-came-from-the-gym. Even better-looking in person.

Sunday, packed like crazy at the old apt. Most everything done. Then I went to a Sea Tea with the other HoP volunteers. Stuff went, as did Will G. and Yaniv2. Good guys to hang out with. And the day was perfect to be out on the water. Breezy, yet not too cool. I love cruises.

Ran into Timmy, Jon from Belize and a couple of their friends on the way back to the Christopher St. station. Called Timmy Jimmy, until he corrected me. Jimmy's his brother. I felt like a putz, but then I haven't seen him or Jimmy in nearly two years.

So that brings me to today and my soup. Which I'm going to go eat now.

No comments: