Some coworkers brought me a Juniors Cheesecake for lunch on Monday.
Great party Monday night. Lot's of friends (bloggers, ruggers, miscellaneous). Lots of martinis. Great gifts (actually, frakkin' amazing gifts). Showtunes. Cute guys. Fun.
And the actual birthday hasn't arrived yet.
Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of my best birthday memories from my life.
1. The year mom made me a Snoopy cake with a black gumdrop for the nose. I was probably five.
2. The year most of my friends got me Star Trek action figures.
3. My freshman year of college when I was feeling really lonely because I was celebrating my birthday by myself for the first time. There was a knock on the door and when I opened it, there was a note (like a ransom note with cut out letters) telling me to be in the lobby at 6. When I got downstairs, a group of my friends 'kidnapped' me and took me out for dinner. I still have the ransom note.
4. Buying my first "legal" bottle of booze. Peach schnapps, if memory serves. Gads.
5. Last year's awesome, awesome coconut cake.
6. Mom throwing me a surprise party that actually surprised me. I had no idea what she was up to.
After drinks the other night, I was thinking about what my life would be like if the world were a TV show. Truth be told, my life is entirely too boring to be a drama. Though I suppose that's a good thing considering the dramas I tend to watch (Dexter, Jericho, Law & Order, etc.) have remarkably high body counts.
So I guess by default, my life would be a sitcom.
Then it occurred to me that if I were in a sitcom, it would probably be someone else's. I might be Fred Mertz. Or maybe Sally Rogers (particularly apt, I think). But I wonder if I'd even qualify to be in the main cast like them. Maybe just a recurring character. Dr. Bombay, perhaps. Or, sticking with Bewitched, Esmerelda, the one who had a tendency to turn invisible.
So what have we learned from today's entry? First, I get maudlin when I drink. Second, I'm having doubts about my self-worth. Third, I should stop watching Nick at Night while drunk and depressed. Fourth, it's going to be one of those birthdays.