Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fantasy & Science Fiction - March/April 2012

One of the best things about my Kindle is that I can once again subscribe to some of my favorite magazines without making my apartment any more cluttered than it is.  So far I've subscribed to Ellery Queen Mystery, Asimov's Science Fiction, and Fantasy & Science Fiction.

This month's F&SF features a number of good stories.  Among the highlights - Electrica by Sean McMullen (about a creature from prehistory whose consciousness is trapped in amber), Twenty-Two and You by Michael Blumlein (showing the unexpected consequences of messing with your genes), Gnarly Times at Nana'ite Beach by KJ Kabza (not cyberpunk, not steampunk, but beachpunk), One Year of Fame by Robert Reed (an author briefly becomes the most famous person on Earth), The Queen and the Cambion by Richard Bowes (Queen Victoria discovers a way to summon Merlin), Perfect Day by C.S. Friedman (a glimpse of the future online, plugged in, popup world that we're creating for ourselves).

In the book review section was a description of a short story collection by Maureen F. McHugh called After the Apocalypse.  Sounded good, so I bought it.

There was a great short story, Pimp My Read by Paul Di Filippo, about the increasingly absurd lengths authors must go to in order to get their books read.

And just a note to myself - find a copy of Anthony Trollope's The Fixed Period.  A little bit of Logan's Run, a bit of the ST:TNG episode Half a Life, but written in 1882.  (Turns out Amazon has it, and it's free)

No comments: